Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Shirley Muldowney




This past weekend, I was watching some top fuel drag racing with my husband; something I haven't done in quite a while. I used to love it! My husband took me to the Southern Nationals quite a few times. I admired Shirley Muldowney tremendously. She was always very generous and gracious with her fans and we knew her as the "The First Lady of Drag Racing".

At the race, when I walked up to her, she said, "Let me see your tickets". She automatically autographed them. I didn't even have to ask. She took my hand and introduced herself and as she moved me towards her car, she asked my name and where I was from. She told me all about her car(s) and her family and where she raced last week. She talked to me as if she knew me and was happy to see me. When I left, she hugged me. She loved her fans.

I am NOT a groupie in any way. It just does not fit my personality. I'm a true snot, but I was genuinely in awe of this lady. The sport just really isn't the same without her; which is probably why I haven't watched in a long time.

Please take time to visit her website HERE.

If you get a chance to see the movie "Heart Like a Wheel", you really should. It's called the story of Shirley's life. Muldowney herself said that the movie didn't really capture her life very well but that it was good for the sport. It's also factual and interesting, not to mention entertaining.

I can't find where you can currently buy the movie unless you want to pay a hefty price for a used one but you can rent it from Blockbuster. Check it out HERE



I found this little item of interest on ebay. (Click on image to enlarge)


There's a YouTube video with the song by The Steve Miller band and a nice slide show of Shirley racing photos HERE

Here's video of Shirley winning her first U.S. National.

Today, Shirley is 70 years old and lives in Detroit, Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment