Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Funnies - Wendy Bagwell and the Sunliters

Wendell Bagwell and the Sunlighters was a Southern gospel music and comedy trio. Wendy Bagwell joined up with two young singers he met in church, Geraldine Terry (later known professionally as Jerri Morrison), and Georgia Jones (eventually replaced by "Little Jan" Buckner, the wife of Bagwell's adopted nephew), to form the gospel trio. Wendy Bagwell was best-known for his comedy monologues, notably the million-selling "Here Come the Rattlesnakes" (also known as "The Rattlesnake Song"), an account of the trio's performance at a small church that engaged in snake handling. Wendy Bagwell was born in Chamblee, Georgia on May 16, 1925, and died on June 13, 1996, and was inducted into the Southern Gospel Music Association Hall of Fame in 1997.



There are a few of their comedy routines on YouTube and all are hilarious, good, clean and simple fun. But they also were a singing Trio. Songs that that moved you to the soul. My favorite really old one was, "I Firmly Promise You". I think I want that one to be sung at my funeral.

A more recent favorite of mine is "This Train". Check it out on YouTube. HERE

Also, Little Jan has her own website filled with her own memories. Visit Her Site Here

I know we aren't supposed to long for days gone by, but sometimes you just really can't help but think, ..."what I wouldn't give"...

This post just brings back such wonderful memories for me. Memories of a more simpler time.. a time when the world around me had values and conscience; rich with joy and laughter. A time when people didn't live in fear. I really miss those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment