Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Country Dammit/Darnit Doll

Although, I struggled with whether or not to change its name, I made the Country Dammit/Darnit Doll as a gift. Here's how mine turned out. I couldn't find all the things on the list that was used in the original post by Amanda. I posted that previously HERE

I couldn't get a paper mache cylinder or a tin button, etc.


I used a generic oat meal container and painted it light brown. I wouldn't even attempt to free hand the poem on the container so I printed it and attached it with tacky glue and painted around it.


I couldn't find the crackle so I painted two coats of Elmer's glue onto the Oatmeal container and let it dry completely before painting. A little of the white shown through and it had little texture to it. It worked pretty well.


I used yarn instead of jute for the hair and I eliminated the buttons at the hair base and used a strip of the cloth to make a band all the way around the doll. I glued it down with tacky glue.

Here's the poem I used:

When you want to climb the wall,
And stand right up and shout.
There's a little Dammit doll
You cannot do without.

Just grasp it firmly by the legs,
And find a place to slam it.
And as you whack the stuffing out
Yell Dammit, Dammit, Dammit!

If Dammit's not a word you say
Then twist its little neck
And grumble out repeatedly
Oh Heck, Oh Heck, Oh Heck!

And once your done abusing it
Just sit it on the shelf.
But hug it first, as I'd hug you
If I were there myself.

You know, there's always a story. . .

The first doll I made by the original pattern. I felt like was just too small, so I enlarged the pattern from 6 inches to 9 inches. My Granddaughter who is 5 was already fascinated by the entire process. She said she "just wuvs it"! She asked if she could have the little doll. She wanted rainbow hair and a nose and smiley face. When she saw there was a poem involved she had to have that too. So, obviously, it was time to rename the doll. She didn't know what it was called anyway. So I changed the poem to "Dang It". She is thrilled with her dang it doll and even took it to school to show her teacher. Kids... you never know what will impress them.



We found a little zip up purse for her to carry her "Dang It" Doll in.

I printed the poem very small and ran a strand of yarn through it and it now hangs around her doll's neck. She still "just wuvs" it! 

Check out my Christmas Fun with Kids post on my other blog for some tasty treatsHERE 

No comments:

Post a Comment