Thursday, July 7, 2011

Listening to the Bible

I have been physically down for a little while now and not at my computer, so a little television and my mp3 player have been both my comfort and my pass time. I recently got a GoBible. It's more than your average cheapie mp3 player, but certainly a steal in comparison to an Ipod or a Zune. You can even listen to it on your car stereo.

You know, I haven't had it for very long and because of my injury, I've had time to really play with it. I love this thing! When I registered the product, I found that I could download a free audio book every month and there are other freebies you can get also. That surprised me. This player is 3 GB's so it has plenty of room for audio books and my favorite gospel music. I often listen to worship music as I contemplate the word that I just read/listened to.


You can easily download a free recorded version of the Bible from any number of websites and thank God for them. The word of God should be accessible to all. You cannot, however, get versions on devices that are this easy to use and this dramatic to listen to.

You can choose the book, the chapter and the verse you want to hear and even repeat it if you need to. No fast forwarding to search through looking for a certain scripture the way you have to on free versions. You can also book mark and start where you left off the next time you turn it on. If you accidentally leave it on pause or with the menu up, it will automatically turn off. I love that feature because I have a cell phone and children around and I get distracted a lot!


I'm very impressed with all the extras that come with this player. It has a holiday and events index and a story index of the well-known Bible stories. Just as many hard print Bibles do, it also has a Bible-in-a year plan.


Now, I wish I had gotten the Word of Promise version. It's a full-on audio drama with actual well-known actors and actresses. The KJV that I have is wonderful, though. It is much more gripping than any free versions I have listened to. It is read by Alexander Scourby. Although he died in 1985, his work obviously lives on. According to Wikipedia, Scourby was the first person to record the King James Bible on long play records in the 1950s. He originally narrated the Old and New Testament of the King James Version for the American Foundation for the Blind and it took over four years to complete, finishing in 1953.

The velvet bag that comes with it is beautiful, but I really need something I can clip on so I don't have to hold it in my hand or put it in a pocket. Also, I have small ears and can't wear the standard ear buds that come with it. When you have that problem, you also have a volume problem because the buds don't go far enough into the ear. Both issues are relatively easy to solve. I got a neoprene phone case, with clip, at the Dollar Tree (my favorite store) and a $3.95 pair of soft, "in ear" bud tips from MicroCenter and I'm good to go.




All-in-all, I must say I did good when I got this little toy. It's packed with features and monthly freebies that go on and on, long after the purchase. The site offers great support in itself and emails are answered quickly. I don't know about you but that sure goes a long way with me. I'd recommend this little gem to anyone and would be proud to give or receive it as a gift.

Check out GoBible for yourself at gobible.com

No comments:

Post a Comment