Thursday, October 28, 2010

Leon and Elton's "The Union" Album Review

I pre-ordered my "The Union" CD so, of course, I got it later than the release day. I, personally, think the album is great. As you've heard me say before, I am not a big Elton fan but I LOVE LEON!


I'm very irritated at some of the reviews... saying things like they had weak, wishing for the glory days voices. Some of the junk that's written in some of the reviews is more than just a low blow, it's downright hateful! Both Leon and Elton are older now and their music reflects that! Things change with age. Nothing remains the same. What did you expect?


Leon's voice has changed, but he still sounds great. He's a great musician and song writer and when his voice is strong (as it is on the album) it's very good! He's not a "has been" -- he's a "still is". He may not be just like he used to be but he's just as good, if not better, than many of the old rockers who've either tried a come back or who has recently made spotlight performances... or have had a "Reunion Tour". It's not like he's gotten rusty. He's been performing both here and abroad all these years. People just stopped paying attention. Also, those "comebackers" play the same music they always played. Leon and Elton released and "all new material" album. Leon has been putting out his own albums and still writing new material for years. I know he has health issues but I hope he's around singing and writing for many more years to come.


The older musicians who've set the pace and the standard deserve more respect that those reviews have given. Well, except maybe for Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones. There comes a time when maybe it just ain't a good idea to get on a stage and "shake your thang" after a certain age...not that his performance was ever respectable by "social" or "moral" standards.


The first song on "The Union" album, "If It Wasn't For Bad" was written by Leon. I think it will be a part of his legacy. I think it's got a chance to become another Leon Russell classic. It's a song that just sticks with you and stays in your head. One you look foward to hearing again.


As I was looking through YouTube at the videos of Leon and Elton regarding their new album. I saw that they were on GMA and I didn't know about it, so I missed it. I was glad, however, that someone was kind enough to post some of the their performance on GMA at the Beacon Theater so we could see them.


Here is the link for part 1 and the video of part 2


Part 1 HERE







Here's an interesting quote from Elton. “All I wanted for Leon,” John said, “is to have, in his later life, the accolades that seem to have been missing for him in the last 35 years. I want his name written in stone. I want him in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I want his name to be on everybody’s lips again." AMEN, Elton! Don't we all! No. I'm not a Leon Lifer but I guess I should be.


Now you know what happens when I get started...I write a "rant" book.

No comments:

Post a Comment