Tuesday, November 30, 2010

When Should a Little Girl Have Her Ears Pierced?

I am solidly steadfast on this subject ( stubborn). I just don't feel like it's okay to mark or put holes in a child's body who isn't old enough to understand and decide for his or herself.


I know there are many people who get their daughter's ears pierced when they are infants. I try not to be judgmental, but I won't do that. I believe the person has a right to choose things like that.


When both my daughters turned 13, that's what they got for their birthday, if they wanted it. Of course, they did. My daughter recently got her 5 year old's ears pierced. Obviously, I don't approve and I wouldn't do it. My little granddaughter is so proud of her Hello Kitty earrings, so naturally, I told her they were very pretty. I asked her if it hurt and if she likes them and if she was glad she did it. I got all yes answers. Naturally, I tried very hard not display displeasure or disapproval.

Knowing that tatoos and body piercing must be approved by a parent and or you have to be 18 to get those things done, I can't help but wonder why ear piercing under legal age is acceptable. . . but it is.


I got mine pierced when I was fifteen ( by my best friend ). I had trouble with my ears for a long time. It was years before mine stopped getting puss-filled or infected. I hope hers is different. They are cute.


Maybe it's just me. What do you think?


Note: When I was 15, a lady named Jean Dixon wrote an article for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. She predicted that during the summer of my 15th year that aliens were going to come and take away all the women who had pierced ears. Well, it was a much more innocent and naive time than now so, of course, I was terrified until the predicted day had passed.

An update to this post can be found HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment