Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Cream!

It's funny how weather is. We've gone years with no snow and now for the last 3 winters, we've gotten it. I'm glad; especially for the kids. Every kid should get the chance to see and play in snow. One of the reasons I love living here, in this part of the south, is because I get to experience all the seasons. The snow started to fall last night and the sleet and freezing rain followed - So we played in it in the dark night and in the daytime!
Midnight Sledding and Snow Angels

Daytime Sledding - You Can Actually See Before You Wipe Out!


One of my favorite things to do is make snow cream, especially if there are kids around. Today, we made snow cream and played in the snow and made hot chocolate.

The thing about making the snow cream was that there was about a quarter sheet of ice on top of the soft snow, which was under there just waiting to be turned into snow cream. I had to break through that icy layer and remove it to get to the good stuff. It looked like this.


I got the snow from my car. I took a very large metal spoon and whacked the top. Where it cracked, I lifted it up and the icy layer came right off. In the end, it was worth it. I was able to get enough soft snow to do the job.

THE RECIPE


About a gallon (or large bowl) of snow, 3 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract, approx a cup of milk and a cup of sugar (or add a little of each as you go and prepare to your own taste).

Get creative by treating it just like ice cream and add peanut butter, chocolate or white chocolate chips... or add some chocolate, butterscotch, strawberry or caramel syrup. M&M's, Reeces pieces and other candies work well. You can use peppermint or rum extract. I like just the plain old vanilla snow cream.


Wikipedia has, what I think, is strange information about snow cream HERE

Work hard, but when you get a snow day, play hard! Don't stay indoors and miss it! Live life and enjoy the blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment