Sunday, November 8, 2009

I Hate Malware!



As I was gathering material for my next post, it happened (I knew I should have installed McAfee Site Advisor!) I got the flashing page with red borders and BIG red letters with exclamation marks saying "YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED"! That horrible malware that installs if you click okay and it installs if you click on the x to close. You can't win. So the removal process started.

I am currently running Panda Cloud Anti-virus on my computer. It didn't even blink at it (it will be replaced). Neither did Advanced System Care. Neither did SuperAntispyware. Neither did Spypot Search and Destroy. Avast virus remover didn't find it either. Windows Defender remained idle. In the meantime, I had an open web page that was entitled, "Windows Enterprise Suite - Online Security" with alternating tabs to "myglobalsecurity.com" and "searchglobalsecurity.com". Of course, you have to buy their program to remove it which does not work (from what I've read) I wouldn't buy from a company that maliciously installed something anyway.

I booted up in safe mode and ran the virus scanner and the sypware programs. "Congratulations! No spyware was found on your computer". I rebooted normally and opened Firefox and there it was again. I was very surprised I couldn't find any information on the net about this problem, so I went to another computer and searched for it. There is was! Apparently the malware had disabled my security programs and took control of my web search.

From another computer, I downloaded the free program malwarebytes and put it on a flash drive and installed it on the infected computer from the flash drive. When I ran the program, it found it!! Now my computer is happy and so am I. I got the program with installation and removal instructions from Bleeping Computer

Don't let it happen to you. Install a Site Advisor and pay attention when warned of sites that might attack. I now have McAfee Site Advistor installed (it's free too). AVG also has its own site advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment